4Ls Retrospective Template
Reflect on what your team liked, learned, lacked, and longed for.
The 4Ls template encourages teams to look at specific actions they should start doing, stop doing, and continue doing. Together, collaborators agree on the most important steps to be more productive and successful.
About the 4Ls Template
What is the 4Ls Retrospective?
After a Sprint, it can be helpful for the team to pause and take stock of what happened. Emotions can run high, so it can be difficult for teams to have a discussion that isn’t marred by frustration. The 4Ls retrospective -- Liked, Learned, Lacked, and Longed For -- is a useful tool that removes the emotional elements of a Sprint. It empowers the team to highlight the positive elements of a Sprint and understand the negative, allowing them to think from a factual rather than emotional perspective.
The 4Ls technique is popular because it’s easy to understand and simple for a facilitator to set up. Allow 30 to 60 minutes for the retrospective.
What do the 4Ls stand for?
The 4Ls stand for liked, learned, lacked, and longed for.
5 tips for creating a 4Ls template
1. Give people space and time to reflect. Make sure the team has about 30 to 60 minutes of uninterrupted time to take stock of their thoughts. Encourage people to take copious notes. Make sure the room is quiet and out of the way.
2. Ask everyone to turn off their devices so they can focus on the retrospective. If people are distracted by their laptops or phones, then they will find it harder to reflect.
3. Assure everyone that there are no right or wrong answers. The goal of the 4Ls is to give your team the space they need to reflect after a Sprint, so this isn’t a test!
4. Encourage your team to focus on action, not emotion.
5. Use the 4Ls retrospective to bring remote teams together after a difficult Sprint.
Why use the 4Ls retrospective?
The 4Ls Retrospective is specifically focused on action and improvement, and can build trust, improve morale, and increase engagement.
When should you use the 4Ls retrospective?
Use the 4Ls Retrospective template when you want to gather data on both positives and negatives at the end of a sprint. You can use the findings to quickly identify areas of improvement and assign ownership.
Easy to use
Save time by using our pre-made 4Ls Retrospective template instead of creating your own from scratch. Get started by signing up for free to update it with your own information.
Invite your team members to collaborate on your new 4Ls Retrospective template. Miro enables you to engage co-located and remote teams on a virtual whiteboard, without constraints.
Need to share your 4Ls Retrospective template with others? Miro has multiple exporting options, like saving to PDF.
Customer journey map template
A simple tool to get distributed product teams on the same page and work on a pre-built Customer...
Process Map Template
Analyze and document your team’s processes and outcomes with our free Process Map template.
Start Stop Continue Retrospective
Provide an action-oriented improvement framework for your team to continuously improve.